Wells City Harriers London Marathon Report

Conditions were perfect for some but too hot for others and dehydration affected some of our runners' performances at the London Marathon. However congratulations go to all who took on this difficult feat of endurance after months of training and preparation.

Fastest performance on the day was by Matthew Harris of Shepton Mallet who ran well and comfortably up to 20 miles but then suffered sickness brought on by the concentrated energy fluids he was taking on board. Matthew still managed to finish only 28 secs behind his previous time to finish in 3:24 and has raised over £1900 for Sight Savers.

Next in was Martin Bailey of Wells who had to put up with months off due to an abdominal complaint. Starting off a little too fast running the first half in 91 minutes, still the Tuesday track training sessions proved their worth as he clocked 3:27 and achieved National TV coverage.

Carole Buckland from Croscombe, raising money for Shepton Mallet Community Hospital, achieved a personal best by 8 minutes and ran completely according to plan to reach her goal of 3:45.

Ian MacQueen of Wells, Vet 50 and a true veteran of the London Marathon, ran a superb race once more getting his wished-for sub 4hrs, raising approx £2,500 for Leukaemia Research. David Wood of Butleigh, Vet 60 and ex RNAS Yeovilton, although not a regular racegoer, managed an admirable 4:39 to finish 341st in his age category.

Club coach Kaye Watts of Shepton Mallet, enjoyed the first half but then suffered a painful knee problem in the second but grit her teeth to complete her debut marathon in 5:13 and lastly Mo Andrews of Wells, ran a magnificent 6:42, a real test of endurance if ever there was one. Thanks must go to all who supported the runners in their training especially Terry Exell who unfortunately wasn't fit enough to run himself; Terry nevertheless went out on his bike regularly to support Mo and Kaye on their training runs - a true stalwart and credit to the club.

Sue Cook