Track & Field Opportunities for juniors Summer 2013
- Written by Paul Chadwick
- Hits: 2908
- South West League Division One- 4 League fixtures & 1 Cup fixture. Dates on the Harrier website and below. See http://www.swathletics.org.uk/Clubs.htm for details
National Youth Development Athletes League– 3 fixtures - dates on Harrier website and below
- The South West League is the only League solely for clubs from the South West.
- There are two divisions with 8 clubs in Div 1 and 9 in Div 2 covering the counties of Cornwall , Devon , Somerset , Dorset , Wiltshire. The Yeovil team is in Div 1.
- There are just four Sunday meets each year, held between late April and early September; and 1 Cup Meet usually held in the middle.
- The venues vary between Yeovil and Exeter for Division 1
- The league caters for male and female athletes in the following age groups: U13, U15: U17; U20(men only) and Senior Men & Women.
- The events on offer for each age group change slightly from the A and B programmes which are alternated between fixtures.
- Two athletes compete in each event for each age group – A and B string plus up to 2 guests are allowed per event. U17W and U20M only A string.
- Points are scored in the A string as follows: 13 for a win, 12 for second, 11 for third etc. B string is 12 for a win, 11 for second etc. No points for guests.
- NOTE: If an A string athlete has to withdraw for any reason, the B string competitor must move up to take his/her place in order to score. ie. the B string performance will only count if an A string has also competed.
- Teams are also awarded extra points for providing the required number of qualified officials, and are expected to officiate events as per a programme. Results are calculated per age group but it is the overall total which counts. Cups are awarded to the winning age group/club on an annual basis
- Dates of fixtures are advertised from March in the newsletter, at training and on the web site. The Yeovil Olympiads website should carry the latest info but all made available to us at Wells Harriers will also go on the Harrier website.
- Coaches at the Harriers Monday session will remind juniors in the run up to each fixture, and athletes will be encouraged to make themseves available and to contact team managers
- All athletes who are old enough to compete are encouraged to do so, either as scoring athletes or guests. The League is the perfect opportunity for beginners to compete for the first time.
- Athletes are asked for confirmation of their availability and various phone calls/e-mails are made by the team managers to chase up athletes in the week before the competition.
- Team managers then select events for athletes – sometimes this has to be changed on the day because of last minute withdrawals.
- Depending upon the venue and numbers we also try to help out with transport, arrange lifts. YOAC often put a coach or minibus on if needed.
- On the day we aim to get to the venue 45 minutes before the first event .
- Letters and pins are given out on the day. Generally Y is for A string, YY for B string. Guests wear numbers; but note some variation in numbering where U20's compete with Seniors.
- The club has to provide a number of officials for different events throughout the day and once a year Yeovil host a fixture which means we need even more helpers from amongst parents.
- To make a commitment to compete for the club in all team fixtures where possible.
- To contact the team manager for your age group to confirm your availability for selection at least by the Wednesday before the competition. PLEASE REMEMBER IT’S JUST ONE PHONE CALL/E-Mail FOR YOU TO MAKE BUT SEVERAL FOR THE TEAM MANAGER – TRY TO CONTACT the manager before they have to contact you.
- To show a willingness to compete in events other than your best or favourite
- Sometimes we might have four athletes all wanting to run the 100 metres in the same age group. The manager's job is to put out the strongest team and with only two scoring places available per event you may be asked to do a different event or stand in at the last minute if someone injures themselves on the day.
- To turn up to the competition and to your events in good time, and stay to the end of the competition for the RELAYS.
2013 CALENDAR of events at Track & Field
Sat 27/Sun 28
Yeovil Open Meeting - Yeovil
Somerset Combined Events - Millfield
U20/U17 Youth Development League (1) - Oxford
Sat 25/Sun 26
Southern Men's League (1) - Guildford
U15/U13 Youth Development League (1) - Bath
South West Colleges - Yeovil
Men's British Athletics League (1) - Yeovil
South West League (1) - Carn Brae
Southern Women's League (1) - Thurrock
Southern Mens League (2) - Yeovil
Somerset AA Championships - Yeovil
Sat 22/Sun 23
U15/U13 Youth Development League (2) - Yeovil
U20/U17 Youth Development League (2) - Yeovil
County Junior Schools (U14)- Yeovil
Men's British Athletics League (2) - Derby
County Senior Schools - Yeovil
South West Schools Inter-Counties - Exeter
Southern Women's League (2) - Herne
Southern Men's League (3) - Windsor
South West Veterans Championships - Exeter
U15/U13 Youth Development League (3) - Telford
South West Schools Combined Events - Exeter
C P Games - Yeovil
U20/U17 Youth Development League (3) - Abingdon
Fri 5th/Sat 6th
Sat 24/Sun 25
29th to 31st
Men's British Athletics League (4) - Bedford
South West League Cup - Exeter
Southern Women's League (4) - Yeovil
Southern Men's League - finals and play-offs day
South West Inter Counties
World Ultra Multi-Events Championships - Yeovil
County Athletics Union Championships - Bedford
Special Olympics Championships - Bath
Sat 21/Sun 22
South West League (4) -Exeter
Yeovil Games - Yeovil
British Masters Championships - Birmingham
National Schools Combined Events -Bedford