Somerset Race Series 2011
- Written by Chairman
- Hits: 6555
SERIES STARTS FEB 20th at Hestercombe Humdinger. Entries in advance only. No entries on the day. The 2nd race in the Series is the Harrier's supported Babcary Road Race on Sunday 27th.
This is the 16th year of the Somerset Race Series – organised by running clubs in Somerset to promote their races and encourage competition across different distances over different terrain. Athletes from any club, or unattached, need to compete in at least 8 races out of the 16 to count in the Series standings: best 8 races to count. No cost to enter the Series. Series positions will be displayed on the various Club websites and also on the County AA website. Supported by the Somerset Athletics Network.
1. Hestercombe Humdinger Sunday 20th February 2011
10.30am. Start Hestercombe Gardens, nr. Taunton. Challenging figure of eight on rural roads/lanes. (also 3m Fun Run.) Note: no entry on the day.
2. Babcary 7.5 mile approx Road Race Sunday 27th February 2011
11.00am. Start Babcary Playing Field. Scenic, undulating/hilly course on road. (also Junior Races). www.wellscityharriers.org.uk
3. Butleigh multi-terrain 7 mile approx. Sunday 20th March 2011
11.30am Start Butleigh playing fields; mix of roads and fields/tracks; two hills. (also Junior events) www.wellscityharriers.org.uk
4. Yeovilton 5k Race Wednesday 13th April 2011
7.15pm Start Yeovilton Air Base. Fast, flat 5k course on road. (also Junior 1km event on grass) www.yeoviltownrrc.com
5. Glastonbury 10k Sunday 1st May 2011
Start Glastonbury Town Hall. Road. Undulating, rural. www.GlastonburyRoadRun.info
6. Crewkerne 9 mile Sunday 22nd May 2011
10.00am. Start town centre. Quiet country lanes and villages. Hilly! Also Junior races.
7. Run in the Wild multi-terrain 10k Sunday 5th June 2011
10.30am. Start Cricket St Thomas park, near Chard. Undulating multi-terrain course
8. Tin Tin Ten multi-terrain 10k Wednesday 15th June 2011
7.00pm Start at Tintinhull House, Tintinhull Undulating multi-terrain course (also Junior/fun run 2k race at 6.30pm) www.chardrunningclub.btck.co.uk
9. Quantock Beast multi-terrain 5.7 mile Sunday 3rd July 2011
11.00am. Start from Fyne Court, Broomfield. Multi-terrain, 65% forest track and footpaths.
10. Haselbury Trail 10k multi-terrain Wednesday 3rd August 2011
7.15pm North Perrott Cricket Club (nr Crewkerne). 2 laps, off-road, scenic.
11. Battle of Sedgemoor 10k Sunday 28th August 2011
11.00am. Start Langport Arms Hotel. Road. Mainly flat one lap course. (11.05am, Fun Run start). www.langportrunners.co.uk
12. Ash Excellent 8 mile Sunday 4th September 2011
11.00am. Ash Primary School. Multi-terrain, breath-taking views. (also 4.5m race, 3k junior race & 2k fun run) www.ashexcellenteight.com
13. Mells Scenic 7m Sunday 25th September
11.00am. Out and back on former railway line. Scenic www.mellsscenic7.co.uk
14. Burnham-on-Sea Half Marathon Sunday 2nd October 2011
11.00am. BASC Ground, Burnham-on-Sea. Flat, fast course on country roads.
15. Exmoor Stagger Sunday 23rd October 2011
11.00am. W. Som. Com. College, Minehead. 2000ft of climbing in 16 miles of Exmoor National Park www.mineheadrunningclub.co.uk
16. Brent Knoll 5.5 mile Sunday 27th November 2011
11.30am. BASC Ground, Burnham-on-Sea. Cross-country to summit of Brent Knoll and back.